GENBOX-L Archives

Archiver > GENBOX > 2003-05 > 1054055834

From: "Paul J. Harris" <>
Subject: RE: [GENBOX] Places - Almost there!
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 13:17:14 -0400

Don Zochert [mailto:] said:

>>Still, these are design features that seem to
>>baffle some pretty sophisticated users.

Okay, I agree with you, there, but how about the newbie that just installed
TMG? Any sophisticated program takes some getting used to. I've been
wrestling with places in Genbox for about two days, and it is starting to
make sense. Could it be easier to use? Sure. But it will only become easier
to use if the "pioneers" dig in and start using it so they can contribute to
whatever enhancements come down the pike.

>>Sources in particular baffle me--I created many custom source formats in
TMG that in retrospect could have been handled just as accurately and much
easier by directly
entering the source formats as I wanted them to appear. In Genbox I'm still
cleaning up a horrific mess.

I "understand" sources in TMG and have developed them extensively. However,
I am extremely frustrated at the lack of control over them in TMG. I have
not done anything with sources in Genbox, yet, but I can see there are many
capabilities that I longed for in TMG. Cheri Casper seems particularly
enamored with the sourcing capabilities in Genbox, and perhaps she could
offer you some encouragement in dealing with your "mess."

>>Maybe it would be useful to have individual modules for creating place
and source records, with pick-lists of elements and clear on-screen
directions on how these records should be assembled. I feel so retro.
This would be *too* user friendly.

If you have a proposal, I'm sure that everyone here would like to hear about
it. <g>

Paul

This thread: