GENBOX-L Archives

Archiver > GENBOX > 2003-05 > 1054053143

From: "Don Zochert" <>
Subject: Re: [GENBOX] Places - Almost there!
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 11:32:23 -0500

Thanks, Paul. That's a good explanation. When it comes to places, the
advantage is in searching for events linked to a place or any of its
name variants (although a Boolean OR search gets the same full result).
When it comes to sources, the advantage is accuracy, consistent output,
and ease of making changes.

I'm sure you're right. Still, these are design features that seem to
baffle some pretty sophisticated users. Sources in particular baffle
me--I created many custom source formats in TMG that in retrospect could
have been handled just as accurately and much easier by directly
entering the source formats as I wanted them to appear. In Genbox I'm
still cleaning up a horrific mess.

Maybe it would be useful to have individual modules for creating place
and source records, with pick-lists of elements and clear on-screen
directions on how these records should be assembled. I feel so retro.
This would be *too* user friendly.

Don Zochert

This thread: