GENBOX-L Archives

Archiver > GENBOX > 2003-03 > 1048107987

From: "Cheri Casper" <>
Subject: RE: [GENBOX] Names & Other Stuff
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 13:06:49 -0800

Wim - I guess that you and I have fundamental differences on Names. I do
not see that names *have to be tied* to sources nor do I see that they have
to be tied to Events. Names can be independent of either a source or an
Event and then linked back to one or both. I realize that I can use
Personal Knowledge as a source and I have on certain occasions. But I am
not about to flood my footnotes/endnotes with a bunch of PK sources just so
I can use an alternate name, nor would I want to. For me, then, this means
that I must hard code the name into the sentence if I want a given output in
narratives.

For two or more sources with conflicting name info for the same event, I
don't see how you will ever get any sentences because it would require
either two names in the output or two sentences. You should have the option
to pick the one *that you prefer or that other evidence makes you believe is
the most accurate" WITHOUT having to suppress the conflict source. In other
words, you should be able to show all sources and yet determine which name
variant you wish to use for the Event sentences.

CheriC