GENBOX-L Archives

Archiver > GENBOX > 2003-03 > 1047439191

From: "Kathy Hinckley" <>
Subject: RE: [GENBOX] FGS - Children's Marriages
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 20:19:51 -0700

Cheri.... Thank you for your patient tutoring. I FINALLY figured it out!
And Bill may want to review my comments below because I think there are
bugs in the importing and in the linking process. Here is what I
learned:

1. I have a husband/wife with 8 children; a birthdate for all of them;
and 5 of them married. The FGS was not reporting the marriages, but the
Descendant Narrative and Outline Descendant reports showed all the
marriages perfectly. It does not make sense that the marriages would
show up in one report and not another. Also, the event box on the
summary page was not showing the birth of all the children.

2. Per your suggestion I checked each parent to be sure all the
children were linked to both parents and everything checked out okay.

3. Per your suggestion I checked each child to see if their parents
were listed in the parents tab and they were all there. And the parents
displayed beautifully on the summary page for each child.

4. I went to the one child who was showing up in the event box on the
summary page and noticed that in the "Birth Event" under the event tab,
that the parents were listed, but they were NOT for the other children.
AHA! I thought I had solved the problem.

5. I chose a child that was not in showing up in the event box on the
summary page and went to the event tab and put my cursor in the box for
the parents and right-clicked and chose "link to parent" and did so for
each parent and left that page. BUT!!.. When I returned to the page, the
parents had vanished! I finally figured out that I had to click on the
little box for the source next to each parent and because I did not want
to link a source to the parent, I merely chose "cancel" and then closed
the window. This then made the information save and did not vanish on
me.

6. I'm doing the same procedure for the marriages -- and it is
interesting that the spouse is in the drop-down menu, but I have to
click on the name and then check the source box and "cancel" to make it
save.

Needless to say, this is very frustrating as I have to do this for over
100 people and apparently the reason is because I entered the majority
of those persons in a different program and then imported the data via
GEDCOM. VERY frustrating to say the least!

And it still puzzles me that the marriages show up on the other reports,
but not the FGS.

I can now get the reports as I am suppose to -- but I'll be editing all
night!

Kathy