GENBOX-L Archives

Archiver > GENBOX > 2003-03 > 1046639216

From: "Cheri Casper" <>
Subject: RE: [GENBOX] GenBox Feedback (GEDCOM import of Norwegian data)
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2003 13:06:56 -0800

Anne - GenBox has built in to it various place levels, i.e., your Oslo,
Domkirk, Norway is already there. If you want just plain vanilla Oslo,
Norway, go to View>Places and when the Place list comes up, click on the
star on the toolbar to add a new place. Then add one where the city is Olso
and the next higher place is Norway. You will now have two entries for Oslo
in your MPL: One with the "Domkirk" and one without. Then you can go back
to the the events in question, and type Oslo, Norway and you will get that
entry. If you will never use the "Domkirk" part, you can go to the MSL and
delete that entry. The places are one of the hardest things to figure out
and I am still struggling.

But in my experience, if you want to add a new place, it is better to do it
from the MPL than from an Event. You have greater control over how the
"automatic" assignment is made.

CheriC

FWIW -- some of the special characters used in non-English languages can be
added to GB. I don't know if the ASCI keystroke combinations work, but I
did a copy-paste from a program where they were correctly displayed (I
needed the small "o" with a slash through it . . . don't know the proper
name for it) and it pasted correctly. Long way around it but if you don't
have a lot, it would be doable.