GENBOX-L Archives

Archiver > GENBOX > 2003-02 > 1045889456

From: "William T. Flight" <>
Subject: Re: [GENBOX] Citation Storage Limits?
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 23:50:56 -0500

> Hi Bill:
>
> In GB you can attach a source doc to a great many items for each event.
For
> example, for a birth, I can attach the birth certificate to just about
every
> item on the page. I know that it is good genealogical practice to cite as
> much as possible, but will this lead to any problems, technically
speaking,
> within GB? Are there any limitations on the number of citations and/or
> sources?

Hi Dennis,

The limit on the number of records of each type (Individuals, citations,
sources, places, names, events, etc.) is 2 billion. So, effectively there is
no limit.

It is good genealogical practice to cite the BEST source for a fact, rather
than as many as possible. If you have found a primary document that
directly states your fact, and have found no documents that conflict with
your assertion, you can move on to the next fact. You shouldn't include
additional sources that agree but either aren't primary documents or they
only imply the information indirectly. They clutter your report and also
suggest your best source isn't adequate.

On the other hand, if your evidence is weak, it is a good idea to cite
several sources to build up your case. This is assuming each is
independently created--if the additional sources are based on the first,
they don't help.

In Genbox, if you have a source that applies to all information in an event
record, it is better to enter the citation for the entire event, rather than
entering it separately for each piece of the event. This reduces the
processing the program must perform when generating reports.

Entering sources for each part can be the most accurate way to enter source
information. But when Genbox is faced with a citation on the event as a
whole AND one or more citations on the parts, reports will have all of the
citation information merged into a single footnote at the end of the event
sentence. When there are citations only on the parts and not on the whole
event, Genbox will attempt to accurately notate the portions covered by each
source.

-- Bill

William T. Flight
http://www.thoughtfulcreations.com