GEN-UNSOLVED-MYSTERIES-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-UNSOLVED-MYSTERIES > 2007-03 > 1173978998

From: "Berry, Karin" <>
Subject: [GEN-UNSOLVED-MYSTERIES] Still looking for the COWEN family in OH,KY, TN
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 13:16:38 -0400

I am researching my paternal great-grandmother's family. Here's what I
know so far:

Wilson and Eliza Cowan/Cowen moved to Union Township, Brown County, OH,
about 1843. Their children were: Franklin, Julia, Amanda, Elizabeth,
Eliza, Sarah Belle and James. By 1860, Eliza has died (I assume) and
Wilson has married Mihaly Highwarden. I believe they had a daughter Mary
and two other children who died after 1860. A Brown Co., OH death record
says Wilson's father was born in TN and his mother was born in GA.
Eliza's parents were born in TN.

By the 1870 Census, four of Wilson and Eliza's children are missing from
the household and Brown Co.: Julia, Franklin, Amanda and Mary. Mary
would've been 10 years old. I don't have married names for the women so
I don't know if they stayed in Brown Co. Mary may have been working and
living in another household in Brown Co. I can't find Franklin at all.

I want to answer several questions: Where did Wilson and Eliza come from
in Tenn.? Who were their families? They were evidently freedmen, so were
they born free or otherwise? Then I want to know what happened to their
four children. And I'd like to know if an Annie Tally, who had a
Freedmen's Bank account in Memphis from 1871-1873 was their daughter.
She named her parents as Wilson and Eliza Cowen (dead). This is correct
info. I have not found her living with them in OH at all (1850, 1860,
1870 Censuses) so if she's their daughter I need to confirm it
elsewhere.

I found some Cowan records posted on the Franklin Co. African American
Griots Web site, but Wilson and Eliza weren't mentioned in the wills.
How can I research African American Cowens in Tenn.?
Thanks for all help.

Kberry

This thread: