GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2003-08 > 1060447595

From: Rod Dav4is <>
Subject: Re: Hastings family
Date: Sat, 09 Aug 2003 16:46:35 GMT

wrote:
> writes:
>

>> This is a bit outside the medieval era, but I'm hoping
>>that someone on this list will be able to help anyway.
>> I have a John Hastings, b. 1556 m. Elizabeth (or
>>Edith?) York;
>> His father: John Hastings, b.c. 1535 m. Jane Pennystone.
>>
>>The problem: Who is this John Hastings' father? Various
>>online sources make this John the son of Edward
>>Hastings b. 1505 d. 1571/72 (or 1558?), 4th Baron
>>Hastings and 3rd son of George Hastings, 1st Earl
>>Huntingdon. But reliable published sources say that
>>Edward died without male issue and the barony became
>>extinct.
>>
>>So, who was the father of the John Hastings who married
>>Jane Pennystone?
>>
>>-R.
>>

> Don't know, but Sir Edward Hastings died 5 Mar 1571/2 without legitimate
> issue, and possibly unmarried. In his will he makes provision for an illegitimate
> son, Edward, but no John is mentioned. (Complete Peerage Vol VI pp 384-5;
> Test Vet (His Will) p 740)
>
> regards,
> Adrian

Do you happen to know the date of the will? Perhaps
this John was a son who predeceased his father. John's
son John (who married Pennystone) was born 1556, before
the death of Sir Edward in 1571/72. John, the perhaps
son of Edward, could have died between 1556 and the
date of Edward's will.

-R.

This thread: