GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2003-01 > 1044009559

From: (Reedpcgen)
Subject: Re: Amie de Gaveston Rebuttal - Part 4: A Damsel's Life
Date: 31 Jan 2003 10:39:19 GMT

A last thought about the parentage of Piers de Gaveston, Edward's favorite.
Aside from the documentary evidence brought forward, as I discussed some months
(or years) ago, some chronicles mention that he was son of a Gascon knight who
had been in Edward I's service.

We know from detailed Exchequer and Chancery accounts that Arnaud de Gabaston
appears numerous times in those records, including the order in the wardrobe
accounts for his burial at Winchester, but no reference has come to light of an
elder Piers/Pierre serving Edward I.

In the end, everything matches quite simply and falls into place as it should,
without any struggle or consternation. After all this running around the
forest, we are back to where we were in the beginning (with a little more
documentation and understanding of minute details).

Paul

This thread: