GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2003-01 > 1043959031

Subject: Re: Amie de Gaveston Rebuttal - Part 4: A Damsel's Life
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 15:37:11 EST

In a message dated 1/30/2003 6:49:51 AM Mountain Standard Time,
writes:

> I've wondered why it was that Piers was made Earl of Cornwall, rather than
> being given some other title and source of income. Purely random? Or
> assuming a relationship between Claramunde and Constance de Marsan, is the
> family connection described by Paul below the most plausible basis for this
> choice? Or is there something else?

Cornwall was available, important, and had actually belonged to the royal
family. Piers was immediately preceded by Edmund "of Almaine" younger
brother of Henry (who had married Constance, daughter and senior coheir of
Gaston VII, Vicomte de Bearn), both being sons of Richard, Earl of Cornwall,
King of the Romans, 2nd son of King John. Richard had married (1) Isabel,
widow of Gilbert de Clare, Earl of Gloucestershire, and his son Edmund (by
the 2nd wife), who succeeded as Earl of Cornwall, married Margaret de Clare
[sic], aunt of the Margaret de Clare who married Piers.

Paul

This thread: