GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2003-01 > 1043957934

Subject: Re: Amie de Gaveston Rebuttal - Part 4: A Damsel's Life
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 15:18:54 EST

In a message dated 1/30/2003 1:11:03 PM Mountain Standard Time,
writes:

> In a message dated 1/28/03 11:45:26 PM, writes:
>

> >I've found proof that Arnaud-Guillaume de Marsan, son of Arnaud de
> Gabaston,
> >
> >was Piers de Gaveston's brother.
> >

> Thank you Paul for your persistence in this matter. The Latin text does
> indicate that Piers was the son of Arnaud. Could you please give us a
> translation of that text and the source?
>
> This has come just in time for me to make a note that the parentage of Amie
>
> has finally been solved in the soon to be printed new edition of TPC. I
> would like to give both Brad Verity and Paul Reed credit for their
> persistence in solving this mystery.
>
> It would seem then that the effigy was commissioned by Piers to honor his
> father. It sat in an alcove for many years after Piers fall from fame and
> fortune. It also appears that the Winchester was originally planned to be
> the
> burial place of the Gavestons and these plans were thwarted by Piers
> overthrow and execution.
>
> - Ken

That does make sense. I think the tomb and burial place was originally
supposed to include Piers at Winchester, hence his arms being included on the
tomb, but as it was, Piers was lucky to be buried in a church at all, given
specific circumstances I'm not going into right now.

I've sent the specific reference to Brad. If he wants to include it in an
article, I'll provide more detail and translation for him.

Paul

This thread: