GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2003-01 > 1043957396

Subject: Re: Amie de Gaveston Rebuttal - Part 4: A Damsel's Life
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 15:09:56 EST

> I've found proof that Arnaud-Guillaume de Marsan, son of Arnaud de Gabaston,
>
> was Piers de Gaveston's brother.

Thank you Paul for your persistence in this matter. The Latin text does
indicate that Piers was the son of Arnaud. Could you please give us a
translation of that text and the source?

This has come just in time for me to make a note that the parentage of Amie
has finally been solved in the soon to be printed new edition of TPC. I
would like to give both Brad Verity and Paul Reed credit for their
persistence in solving this mystery.

It would seem then that the effigy was commissioned by Piers to honor his
father. It sat in an alcove for many years after Piers fall from fame and
fortune. It also appears that the Winchester was originally planned to be the
burial place of the Gavestons and these plans were thwarted by Piers
overthrow and execution.

- Ken

This thread: