GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2003-01 > 1043917416

Subject: Re: Amie de Gaveston Rebuttal - Part 4: A Damsel's Life
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 04:03:42 EST

In a message dated 1/29/2003 10:46:10 PM Mountain Standard Time,
writes:

> Is there any reason to think the stiff had the name Piers
> if there is no other documented Piers at the time, and the
> inscription was never completed?
>
> taf

Though the name Piers appears on the monument twice (apparently - it is
claimed it was difficult to make out or be certain), the arms show it was the
tomb of a Gabaston knight who served on crusade, and also had the arms of
Piers, so both that of the father and son. If Piers was son of Arnaud, who
is known to have been buried at Winchester in May 1302, there is no room for
any elder Piers. Arnaud is known from wardrobe accounts to be buried at
Winchester, and Piers is known to be brother of his son and heir
Arnaud-Guillaume.

What I posted shows that Piers de Gaveston, Earl of Cornwall (Piers was
referred to in other parts of this complaint), was brother of
Arnaud-Guillaume de Marsan, seneschal of the Agenais, an important region on
the eastern border of the Duchy of Aquitaine. They were sons of Arnad de
Gabaston by his wife Claramonde de Marsan. Aside from Piers being identified
as the meddling Earl of Cornwall, chronology here precludes two Piers.

Arnaud de Gabaston first appears in record in 1269, when he gave homage and
swore fealty to Gaston VII, Vicomte de Bearn, at the marriage of his senior
daughter and coheir Constance de Marsan to Henry d'Allemagne, son of Richard,
Earl of Cornwall, King of the Romans (son of King John Lackland).

Arnaud, seigneur of Gabaston, one of the twelve hereditary baronies of Bearn
which constituted the "cour majour" of Bearn, married Claramonde de Marsan by
1272, in which year they declared their debt to Edward I. She brought the
important castles/bastides of Louvigny, Roquefort-de-Marsan,
Montgaillard-des-Tursan, Sauveterre-de-Bearn and Chalosse in marriage to
Arnaud (worth 100 l. sterling per annum). Her father Arnaud-Guillaume had
died in that year. Her brother Fortaner was seigneur of Lescun, another of
the 12 hereditary baronies.

There is no evidence of any Piers de Gabaston in this family earlier than the
Earl of Cornwall, who was nephew of Pierre Caillau of Bordeaux (he and his
cousin Jean Caillau turned over Bordeaux to the English in 1302-3).

Arnaud-Guillaume de Bearn who married Marie, heiress of the barony of
Gabaston (daughter of an Arnaud-Guillaume), was one of at least five
illegitimate sons of Gaston VII, Vicomte de Bearn.

Piers "the elder" was a mistaken invention of the Polistoire, the author of
which even admitted that he was told Piers was son of someone bearing the
same name - not that it was firsthand knowledge.

Paul

This thread: