GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2003-01 > 1043822669

Subject: Re: Amie de Gaveston Rebuttal - Part 4: A Damsel's Life
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 01:44:29 EST

I've found proof that Arnaud-Guillaume de Marsan, son of Arnaud de Gabaston,
was Piers de Gaveston's brother.

With the death of Edward I and ascendance of Edward II came the ascendance of
Edward II's favorites, such as Piers and his circle. The nobility of Bearn
did not like this any more than the English did.

Arnaud-Guillaume de Marsan was appointed seneschal of the Agenais. Amanieu
VII d'Albret, who had been a favored vassal of Edward I, claimed that he'd
been evicted from Nerac by the seneschal of the Agenais, Arnaud-Guillaume de
Marsan.

Part of the Latin in this complaint reads that "donaciones terrar um et
officiarum factas dicto senescallo et domino Petro de Gavastone fratri eius
michi displicant."

As Arnaud-Guillaume de Marsan was certainly son and heir of Arnaud de
Gabaston by his wife Claramonde, daughter of Arnaud-Guillaume de Marsan (d.
1272); that makes Piers a younger son, as has been put forward all along.

Paul

This thread: