GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2003-01 > 1043737848

From: (Brad Verity)
Subject: Re: Amie de Gaveston Rebuttal - Part 4: A Damsel's Life
Date: 27 Jan 2003 23:10:48 -0800

Renia <> wrote in message news:

> >>In other words, Piers would have had similar arms to his father but with
> >>some difference to show that he was a son, not the father himself. But
> >>the difference would not have been to go from cows to eagles, but to add
> >>a marked line, for example, through the cows, so that the cows move
> >>position.
> >

> > Is it possible that Edward II granted Piers these new arms at the
> > same time as he granted the earldom of Cornwall? Perhaps Edward II
> > thought that eagles were more "worthy"of his favorite than cows?
>
> That could be the case. I gave the URL for the PRO ref for the document
> granting the Earldom. Some info may be available in that.

Dear Renia, Vickie & Richard,

Thank you very much for your referrals and information. I am going to
post a message to the heraldry newsgroup tomorrow.

With the information that Paul has since posted, it seems clear the
effigy and tomb was that of Arnaud Gaveston. It's just a matter now
of determining why Piers bore completely different arms than Arnaud.

If the eaglets were assumed by Piers when he was created Earl of
Cornwall then the tomb definitely dates to the period after 1307.

Cheers, -------Brad

This thread: