GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2003-01 > 1043723751

Subject: Re: Amie de Gaveston Rebuttal - Part 4: A Damsel's Life
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 22:15:51 EST

Richard,

Thank you for the observation. I know that garb can be composed of any type
of grain (usually wheat), but had not thought about the derivative meaning of
pieds as stalks. Even if this is not the common usage, one might hypothesize
that on a small seal or depiction of arms it might be difficult to
distinguish between three clumps of an object, especially quartered into
smaller spaces.

One might question if the 1260 document actually displayed sheafs of grain,
or feet, or visa versa on the tomb at Winchester. The tinctures on the tomb
at Winchester were not indicated in previous posts.

Would the cross indicate that the knight buried at Winchester had been on
crusade? There was the crusade of the Lord Edward [Edward I] of England in
1271-2, the crusade of Louis not long before that, and that of Aragon. As an
active knight who spent his entire life in active military service, Arnaud de
Gabaston might be expected to have participated in any of those endeavors.

I would question whether a hypothetical Piers, father of Piers, could be an
active knight and crusader, but appear in no records in Gascony/Bearn,
whereas Arnaud does appear frequently in records there and later in England,
being buried at Winchester in 1302.

Have I misinterpreted the device of the cross in the Winchester tomb we are
discussing?

Paul

This thread: