GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2003-01 > 1043720231

From: "Richard Smyth at UNC-CH" <>
Subject: Re: Amie de Gaveston Rebuttal - Part 4: A Damsel's Life
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 21:19:24 -0500

Paul,

I don't know whether ordinary French usage is any help, but one meaning of
"pied" is stalk (of plants). "Garbe", unqualified, in heraldry usually
refers to a wheat sheaf, but it can be qualified to refer to stalks of other
plants. So I'm not sure that there is any substantive difference in the two
descriptions.

> >What was on the monument in 1858 was the following:
> >
> >1) On the shield in the left hand of the effigy, "viz., a cross
> >between, in the first and fourth quarters two cows passant, collared,
> >and belled, and in the second and third quarters three garbs."

> For what it's worth, the Grand Armorial de France, no. 16472 Gabaston
(Bearn)
> reads:
> "Ecartele, aux let 4 d'or, a 2 vaches de gue, accornees, onglees,
coletees,
> clarinees d'az.; aux 2 et 3 d'or a 3 pieds de sab. (Pieces Originales
1260)."

> I wonder if there is any way three feet might be mistaken for three garbs.

Regards,

Richard Smyth

This thread: