GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2003-01 > 1043715152

From: (Apsgemail)
Subject: Re: Amie de Gaveston Rebuttal - Part 4: A Damsel's Life
Date: 28 Jan 2003 00:52:32 GMT

[Brad wrote:]
[quote:]
>In Britton's History of Winchester cathedral (a work apparently
>published prior to Walford's 1858 article), the tomb & effigy is said
t>o be that of "William de Foix, of the princely family of that name,
>who resided on an estate called Vana, or Wineall, near Winchester."
>
>Walford debunks Britton's assertion, by pointing out that no trace of
>the inscription remained (by 1858), and that the de Foix family arms
>(or, three pallets gu) were not on the monument.
>
>What was on the monument in 1858 was the following:
>
>1) On the shield in the left hand of the effigy, "viz., a cross
>between, in the first and fourth quarters two cows passant, collared,
>and belled, and in the second and third quarters three garbs."
>2) On the front of the tomb itself are five coats of arms. The first,
>to the very left, are the exact same arms that are on the shield the
>effigy holds.
>3) The second-to-the-left, "Six eaglets displayed."
>4) The center coat of arms, "England."
>5) The second-from-the-right, "France seme."
>6) The very right coat of arms, "Castile and Leon quarterly."
[end quote]

For what it's worth, the Grand Armorial de France, no. 16472 Gabaston (Bearn)
reads:
"Ecartele, aux let 4 d'or, a 2 vaches de gue, accornees, onglees, coletees,
clarinees d'az.; aux 2 et 3 d'or a 3 pieds de sab. (Pieces Originales 1260)."

I wonder if there is any way three feet might be mistaken for three garbs.

We know that Arnaud de Gabaston was buried at Winchester in 1302. Did the
wardrobe account indicate that money was set out for a monument? At any rate,
once buried at Winchester in 1302, after Piers came to prominence in 1307-12,
one would think he might have expanded any monument of a relative to aggrandize
or give more glory to his own image and relations.

I don't know what the medieval arms of Marsan or Lescun are. They must be
determined. Piers definitely bore eagles in rolls of arms of that period.

The Grand Armorial de France gives the arms of Bearn as:
3564 - D'or a 2 vaches passantes de gue, colletees, accornees, clarinees,
onglees d'az. l'une sur l'autre.

3565 - (Maison de Foix). - Ecartele, d'or a 3 pals de gue, et d'or a 2 vaches
passantes de gue, colletees, accornees, clarinees, onglees d'az, l'une sur
l'autre.

Nobles in Bearn were frequently "ricombre de Navarre" [rico hombre], so I could
see why the arms of England, France and Castille/Leon might have been included
to indicate the countries in which he had interests.

We know Piers de Gaveston/Gabaston bore as arms "Vert, 3 eagles displayed or (4
Nob.)." or "Vert, 6 eagles or (Parl.)" [Knights of Edw. I], aside from other
rolls of that period discussed.

Since these unusual arms of Piers are indicated on this tomb in Winchester
Cathedral, and we know Arnaud de Gabaston was buried at Winchester, I think one
has to go to some extent to explain why these two facts should not be
associated. If an original document in 1260 (about which time Arnaud came to
prominence) shows the Gabaston arms as quartering two cows and three feet, very
similar to the description of arms above, and possibly confounded, it also
bears consideration.

Why would we have a father of Piers de Gabaston making his way to England and
being buried at Winchester in an elaborate tomb, in a place we know Arnaud de
Gabaston was buried. Arnaud was a knight who served loyally and vigorously in
Edward I's service, and had turned key castles over to Edward which might have
been chiefly responsible for his success in Bearn and Gascony. Of this elder
Piers, there is no record or his ever being in England. If Piers as a boy came
to England with Arnaud and Arnaud's two sons, it is clear that no other elder
Piers accompanied them, as he is not accounted for in the expenses (nor was a
horse valued for him). If Piers had a father named Piers, one would conclude
he died in Gascony, quite some ways from Winchester. Also, one would expect
that this memorial was erected by 1312, not after Piers' great fall.

Paul

This thread: