GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2003-01 > 1043609911

From: "Richard C. Browning, Jr." <>
Subject: RE: Amie de Gaveston Rebuttal
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 13:39:23 -0600

Richard Smyth at UNC-CH [mailto:] wrote

<snip>

> of his mother's family. Do you happen to know when the first examples
of
> that are to be found? Also, I believe there are examples in English
> heraldry in which a son borrowed elements, tincture, for example, from
the
> arms of his mother's family. (This is different from impaling or

</snip>

Assuming arms of Mother

I don't have an example of a man assuming the hereditary arms of his
mother, but I do have one of assuming the arms of a spouse.

According to the "Herald's Visitation of Cheshire of 1580"

John Browning, b. abt. 1335 married Alice Maltravers, daughter of Sir
John de Maltravers and Joan, daughter and sole Heir of Sire Lawrence de
Sandford, and as said in the Visitation "hereof it cometh that Browning
beareth Sandford's Arms".

The first instance I found of these arms, Azure Three Bars Wavy Argent,
is Henry de Sandford, Bishop of Rochester, 1227-25. From A GLOSSARY OF
TERMS USED IN HERALDRY" by JAMES PARKER,

The descendants of John Browning and Alice Maltravers carried these arms
through the 17th Century.

The blazon given in the visitation to Joan de Sandford is "Drawing of an
impaled coat:- Dexter fretty, sinister bary wavy of six. Inscribed
Johane de Sandford." These arms are Maltravers, Sable Fretty Or and
Sandford Azure Barry Wavy of Six Argent.

Richard C. Browning, Jr.
Grand Prairie, TX

This thread: