GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2003-01 > 1043443027

Subject: Re: Amie de Gaveston Rebuttal - Part 4: A Damsel's Life
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 16:17:07 EST

In a message dated 1/24/2003 12:45:56 PM Mountain Standard Time,
writes:

> >Joan was noticed ...
>
> Joan was heiress, then coheiress, to one of the richest
> inheritances in all of England. She was grandniece of the king.

We must NOT forget that the purpose of the entry in the lone chronicle which
mentions the birth (but does NOT mention the name of the baby) was to explain
WHY Piers went to and stayed at York. It was not this child that was so
important in itself, but the fact that the event explains WHY Piers stayed at
York for some time, in spite of the threats to his existence.

The chronicle which records the birth of Piers' daughter shortly after the
feast of Epiphany 1312 states

'he arrived in the King's company in York where the countess, his wife, gave
birth to a daughter, FOR WHICH REASON he
stayed there for some time.'

If things hadn't been in such turmoil it is doubtful that the chronicle would
have taken the space to mention the birth at all.

Paul

This thread: