GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2002-04 > 1018147618

From: "Patricia Junkin" <>
Subject: Re: Another CP Addition: Agnes Greene, wife of William la Zouche
Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2002 21:46:58 -0500

Douglas,
Thank you very much for your reply.
The IPM of William la Zouche of Haryngworth, knight, 16 May 19 R II. [1396]
states
Richard la Zouche, knight, holds for life the undermentioned manor by gift
of William la Zouche, father of the said William, the reversion belonging to
the said William and his heirs: Dokkyng. The manor called Souchesmaner, held
of the king in chief by service of a sixth part of a knight's fee and in
Berks. Richard la Zouche held the undermentioned lands as aboove (Norfolk
Inq.) the reversion belonging to the said William and his heirs. Nieubury.
Divers lands and tenements, held of the earl of March, services unknown.
I had placed this Richard as a brother of the William who married Agnes and
you have further confirmed this.
I also have a Eudo, son of William and Elizabeth de Ros. PRO--C 143/333/10:
William la Zouche of Harringworth to settle the manor of Barby (N'hamp.) on
himself for life, with remainder to Thomas his son and the heirs of his
body, remainder to Eudo also his son and the heirs of his body, remainder to
his own right heirs, retaining the manors of Eaton and Houghton (Bedford)
and Calstone (Wilts.), the castle of Totnes(Devon), and the manors of
Harringworth (N'hamp.), Weston in Arden, Wolvershill, and Foleshill
(Warwick), and Kilpesham (Rutland). N'hamp. Bedford. Wilts. Devon. Warwick.
Rutland. 33 EDWARD III. [1360]
In the Writ 26 October 1399 to prove age of Ivo Harleston, son of Margaret,
a daughter and heir of Margret, wife of John de Wauton...Hugh Plowrigh and
Richard Outlawe, each 58, on that day went with master Ivo la Zouch,
chancellor of Cambridge University, to the church, and after the baptism to
the house of the friars minor to hear the preaching of holy
scripture...Thomas Caldecote, 59 and Thomas Skynnere, 70, were with Master
Ivo la Zouche then chancellor of Cambridge University, in Trinity Hall, when
Roger Harleston, the father sent his servant John Dyne to ask Zouch to be
godfather....
I believe this Ivo/Eudo/Eon born ca. 1340-50 and of the right age to also
have been the brother of William who married Agnes Grene.

In the 1397 IPM of Robert de Wilughby[whose wife, Elizabeth also married a
Latimer], knight, Writ 15 August 20 R II [1398] London. He held the
undermentioned messuage, garden and shops jointly with Ives la Souche, Henry
parson of the church of Welughby, William Michel of Fryskenay and Albin de
Enerby, who are still living, by a gift of Roger de Boys [Bois/Bosco], John
de Pishall Clerk, Elian de Byntre, Robert de Asshefeld and Henry Sergeant:
St. Giles Cripplegate. A messuage called la Baascourt with garden and 14
shops.... and with these same men, Willoughby held in Middlesex St. Giles
without Cripplegate. A garden held of Reynold Braybrok, Clerk
I have not yet ascertained that this is the same as the above mentioned
Ivo...nor the following:
Philip le Despenser and James Roos, knights, Eudo la Zouche, Richard de
Wynnewyk, and Richard de Chestrefeld, clerks, Henry Malbys, parson of the
church of Willoughby, and Thomas fitz William of Mablethorpe, to grant land
in Wispington and the advowson of the church there to the abbot
and convent of Kirkstead, retaining the manor of Wispington. Linc. 2 HENRY
IV. [1401]

Pat

This thread: