GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2001-12 > 1009295203

From: (Douglas Richardson)
Subject: Re: Tunstalls of Thurland Castle
Date: 25 Dec 2001 07:46:43 -0800

Dear Brice ~

Since you asked about Sir Thomas Tunstall, the younger, please find an
account of that individual below. This information is taken from the
forthcoming book, Plantagenet Ancestry, 3rd edition. Sir Thomas
Tunstall and his wife, Eleanor Fitz Hugh, had five children, including
two daughters, Elizabeth (or Isabel) and Joan. All my sources are
cited.

For those interested in ordering a copy of the book, please contact me
privately at my e-mail address below.

E-mail:

- - - - - - - - -
Information on Sir Thomas Tunstall (died c. 1434/5)

II. THOMAS TUNSTALL, K.B., younger son. He fought as a man-at-arms at
the battle of Agincourt in 1415. He was heir male in 1425 to his
older brother, William Tunstall, by which he inherited the manors of
Thurland (in Tunstall), Burrow (in Tunstall), Cantsfield (in
Tunstall), and Leck, co. Lancaster. He was knighted in 1426 for his
conduct at the battle of Verneuil in 1424. He married before 18
February 1427 (date of pardon for marrying without a license) ELEANOR
FITZ HUGH, widow of Philip Darcy [5th Lord Darcy] (died 2 August
1418), and daughter of Henry Fitz Hugh, Knt., 3rd Lord Fitz Hugh, of
Ravensworth, co. York, by his wife, Elizabeth, daughter and heiress of
Robert de Grey, Knt. (descendant of King John). They had three sons,
Richard, Knt., Thomas, Esq., and William, Esq., and two daughters,
Elizabeth (or Isabel) (wife of Simon Norwich, Esq.) and Joan (wife of
Roger Warde). SIR THOMAS TUNSTALL died c. 1434/5, leaving a will
appointing his wife and his uncle, William Harington, Knt., his
executors. His widow married (3rd) HENRY (or HARRY) BROMFLETE (or
BROUNFLETE), Knt. (died 16 Jan. 1468/9), Lord Vescy, of Londesborough,
co. York. She died 30 September 1457 at Newington, Middlesex.

Thomas D. Whitaker Hist. of Richmondshire 2 Pt. 2 (1823), unpaginated,
Tunstall chart.

H.S.P. 16 (1881): 327-328 (1563/4 Vis. Yorkshire) ("Sir Thomas
Tunstall Knight son & heyr = Elenor doughter of .. Fytzhugh").

George H.S.N. Plantagenet Harrison Hist. of Yorkshire: Wapentake of
Gilling West (1885): 137, 300 (misdates will of Sir Thomas Tunstall as
13 Henry VI).

Surtees Soc. 144 (1930): 80-81 (c. 1480-1500 Vis. North) (Tunstall
pedigree) ("Dominus Thomas Tunstall miles = Aleonora filia domini
Fitzhugh").

C. T. Clay Yorkshire Deeds 7 (Yorkshire Arch. Soc. Record Series, vol.
83) (1932): 141-142.

Col. W. H. Chippingdall Hist. of the Parish of Tunstall (Chetham Soc.,
n.s., vol. 104) (1940): 20-21, 28-29.

- - - - - - - - -

(Clagett, Brice) wrote in message news:<>...
> Douglas -- Are you sure that Margaret Tunstall who married Sir
> Ralph Pudsey was a daughter of Sir Thomas Tunstall and Isabel
> Harington? Do the sources you cite say this? I have not looked at
> them for several years, but when I did I concluded that Margaret
> was a daughter of Sir Thomas Tunstall and Eleanor FitzHugh, and
> granddaughter of Sir Thomas Tunstall and isabel Harington. At
> least two sources give this version: Poulson's Seigniory of
> Holderness 2:236 and Watney's The Wally Family.

This thread: