GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2001-12 > 1008780574

From: (Douglas Richardson)
Subject: Re: Tunstalls of Thurland Castle
Date: 19 Dec 2001 08:49:34 -0800

Dear Brad ~

Below please find some information on Sir Thomas Tunstall and his
wife, Isabel Harington, and on their son, Sir Thomas Tunstall, and his
wife, Eleanor Fitz Hugh. My sources are cited for both generations.
I show your Alice, wife of Sir Thomas Parr, to be the daughter of Sir
Thomas Tunstall, by Isabel Harington. This material will eventually
appear in the forthcoming book, Baronial Ancestry, the third book in
the planned Royal Ancestry series. I wish to thank Leslie Mahler for
kindly pointing out the Chippingdall book mentioned below to me.

E-mail:

- - - - - - - - - -

TUNSTALL FAMILY INFORMATION

I. ISABEL HARINGTON, married before 1392 THOMAS TUNSTALL, Knt., of
Thurland (in Tunstall), Burrow, Cantsfield (in Tunstall), Hubberthorn,
Leck, and Newton, co. Lancaster, son and heir of William de Tunstall,
Knt., of Thurland (in Tunstall), Cantsfield, Burrow (in Tunstall),
Leck, Newton, etc., Knight of the Shire for Lancashire, by his wife,
Katherine. They had five sons, William, Thomas, Robert, Nicholas and
John, and six daughters, Mary (wife of John Radcliffe, Knt.),
Margaret, Alice, Elizabeth (wife of Robert Bellingham, Esq.), Eleanor
(wife of John Redman, Knt.) and Katherine. In 1397 he obtained a
license to found a chantry in Thurland Castle where priests were to
pray for him and his wife Isabel and the souls of his parents. In
1402 he had license to crenellate his mansion of Thurland and to
enclose 1,000 acres as a park. He fought as a knight at the battle of
Agincourt in 1415. SIR THOMAS TUNSTALL died 5 November 1415.