GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2001-12 > 1008729432

From: (Brad Verity)
Subject: Tunstalls of Thurland Castle
Date: 18 Dec 2001 18:37:12 -0800

I'm still trying to determine the Tunstall of Thurland tree of the
early 15th century.

Alan B. Wilson provided the following in a post a couple years
previous:

First Generation

1 Alice TUNSTALL.[75],[188],[553, 9HKB-2S] Born ca 1415. Of Thurland
Castle (Lancs).[75, @],[553, *@]

Alice married Thomas PARR Sir[74],[75],[188],[338],[553, 9GTX-1V].

Second Generation

2 Thomas TUNSTALL Sir.[75],[188],[338],[553, 9HQ4-8J] Born ca 1358.
Of
Thurland Castle (Lancs).[75, @],[553, *@] Thomas died bef 1416.[188,
+],[553, + (1415)]

Thurland Castle (Lancs) is 2&1/2 m. W. Burton-in-Lonsdale.

ca 1382 Thomas married Isabel HARINGTON. [553, =@]

3 Isabel HARINGTON.[188],[553, 9HQ4-9P] Born ca 1364 in Brearley
(Yorks)
England.[553, *@]

This conflicts with information in CP, which has "She [Alianore, da.
of Sir Henry FitzHugh, Lord FitzHugh] m., 2ndly (pardon for marrying
without the King's consent, 18 Feb. 1426/7, Sir Thomas Tunstall, of
Thurland, co. Lancaster."

They had three sons and two daughters, one of whom might have been
Alice Tunstall, who married Sir Thomas Parr and was ancestress of
Queen Katherine Parr. If so, then Alice Tunstall could not have been
born about 1415, as stated by Mr. Wilson above. Sir Thomas Tunstall
and Eleanor Fitzhugh were not married until about 1425.

If she was born about 1364, Isabel Harington, in Second Generation
above, could not have given birth to a daughter about 1415. Not just
because she would have been about 50 years old at the time, but
because her husband Sir Thomas Tunstall was married to Joan Mowbray,
the widow of Sir Thomas Gray, by about 1405, according to Roskell's
HOP.

Possible parents for Alice Tunstall, wife of Sir Thomas Parr:

1) Sir Thomas Tunstall of Thurland (b. ca. 1358) and his first wife
Isabel Harrington. This would place Alice's birth before 1400.

2) Sir Thomas Tunstall of Thurland and his second wife Joan Mowbray
(b. 1367/8). This would give Alice a descent from Edward I, and place
her birth in the 1402-1412 range.

3) Sir Thomas Tunstall of Thurland (son of the above) and his wife
Eleanor Fitzhugh. This would place Alice's birth after 1425. It
might still give her a descent from Edward I if Sir Thomas the younger
was the son of Joan Mowbray and not Isabel Harington.

If anyone has any further information, please share.

Happy Holidays, --------Brad Verity

This thread: