GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2001-01 > 0979516278

Subject: Re: Father of Amy de Gaveston
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 23:51:18 GMT

"Ron" <> wrote:

> As indicated under the Randolph line in Faris, Douglas Richardson
believes
> that she was an illegitimate child of Margaret de Clare by an unknown
father
> (for the reasons stated on page 299).

If you do a search in the archives of this message board for 1999 under
"Amy de Gaveston," you'll find a wealth of information posted about her.

From what I've gathered by reading through it (and by reading Hamilton's
1988 biography of Piers Gaveston and Underhill's 1999 biography of
Elizabeth de Burgh, Lady of Clare, titled "For Her Good Estate"), it has
been proven almost absolutely conclusively that Amy was NOT the
daughter, legitimate or otherwise, of Margaret de Clare.

It's possible Amy was the illegitimate daughter of Piers, but since the
only evidence that sheds light on her parentage is a 1334 fine regarding
the manor of Breedon that mentions "John son of Thomas de Dryby and Anne
the daughter of Peter de Gaveston." Since other evidence in Queen
Philippa's household records implies that John and Amy didn't marry
until 1338, I think more research needs to be done on this particular
1334 fine.

There is NO OTHER EVIDENCE yet found that connects Amy in any way to
Piers Gaveston, Earl of Cornwall, the favorite of Edward II.

That said, the rest of the research that has been done on Amy and John
de Dryby's descendants, seems to hold up. The 14th century couple
certainly existed and Amy was a documented member of Queen Philippa's
household.

But the likelihood that she was a descendant of Edward I is practically
nil.

Best regards, --------Brad Verity

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/