GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 1998-08 > 0902098184

From: Don Stone< >
Subject: Thimbleby/Thimelby
Date: 2 Aug 1998 15:49:44 -0700

Michael Welch wrote:

> I'm having someone doing some
> research for me on the Thimbleby line as far as Sir Richard Thimbleby
> mother who was Margaret Boys dau of John Boys

The most detailed treatment I have seen of the Thimbleby/Thimelby family
is in Thomas Stapleton's 1846 article entitled "Historical Details of
the Ancient Religious Community of Secular Canons in York Prior to the
Conquest of England, Having the Name of the Church of the Holy
Trinity... with Biographical Notices of the Founder Ralph Paynell, and
of his Descendants." This was published in _Memoirs Illustrative of the
History and Antiquities... of York_ by the (Royal) Archaelogical
Institute. The following successive generations come primarily from pp.
222-3 of this article.

1. Thomas Thimelby or Thimbleby of Thimbleby, d. 1353, m. (as her first
husband) Joan, daughter of Robert de Barkeworth. Joan was b. ca. 1332,
since she was aged 25 in 1357. Their son:

2. Thomas Thimelby, sheriff of Lincolnshire in 1380. Stapleton says he
married Dorothy, daughter of Sir Hugh Swinford of Coleby and
Kettlethorpe, Lincolnshire, and sister of Sir Thomas Swinford. However,
I doubt that Dorothy is the daughter of Sir Hugh, because Sir Hugh and
his wife Katharine Roet (later Duchess of Lancaster) are given only two
children, Blanche and Thomas, in Sydney Armitage-Smith's _John of Gaunt_
(p. 390) and in Anil de Silva-Vigier's recent _This Moste Highe
Prince... John of Gaunt_ (p. 159). Stapleton doesn't give the source
for this claimed parentage of Dorothy, and I haven't been able to find
it; it doesn't, for example, come from the Thimbleby pedigree in
Maddison's Lincolnshire Pedigrees, Harleian Soc. vol. 52, p. 957.
However, a Swynford connection of some sort is plausible; according to
"Lincolnshire Church Notes made by Gervase Holles, A.D. 1634 to A.D.
1642," ed. by R. E. G. Cole, _Pubs. of the Lincoln Record Society_, vol.
1 (1911), p. 207, the coats of arms of four families (Thimelby,
Swinford, Belesby, and Luttrell) appear repeatedly in the church at
Irnham, on tombs and in stained glass; the Swinford arms are those of
Sir Hugh: Arg. on a chevron Sa. 3 boares heads couped, Or. Possibly
Dorothy was a sister rather than a daughter of Sir Hugh. On the other
hand, the Swynford connection might be through the Belesby family; Sir
William de Belesby, sheriff in 1382 and 1388, married Elizabeth
Swynford, according to A. C. Sinclair's _A History of Beelsby_.

3. Thomas Thimelby, second son.

4. Richard Thimelby, liv. 1476 (when his son Richard was still described
as "junior"), m. Margaret Farnell, "apparently nearly allied to the
family of Belesby."

5. Richard Thimelby, m. Elizabeth Hilton (daughter of Sir Godfrey Hilton
of Irnham). Elizabeth's paternal grandmother Hawisia was a Luttrell,
and Elizabeth brought the Manor of Irnham to the Thimelbys. Richard
Thimelby d. 1522.

6. Sir John Thimelby, m. Margaret Boys, daughter of John Boys of Conesby
in the parish of West Halton, Lincs. Sir John Thimelby's will was dated
1550.

7. Sir Richard Thimelby, Sheriff of Lincolnshire in 1551 and 1560, m.
(1st) Elizabeth Moore, by whom he had a son John, deceased as an infant,
and m. (2nd) Katharine Tyrwhitt. Lord of the Manor of Irnham.
(Sinclair's _Beelsby_ reverses the order of these marriages.) He died
1590.

-- Don Stone

This thread: