GAMARION-L Archives

Archiver > GAMARION > 2008-04 > 1208700817

From: "" <>
Subject: Re: [GAMARION] 1864 Murder in Marion County
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2008 14:13:37 -0000

Author: jhorsley46
Surnames:
Classification: queries

Message Board URL:

http://boards.rootsweb.com/localities.northam.usa.states.georgia.counties.marion/693.3.2.1/mb.ashx

Message Board Post:

The Georgia Archives in Atlanta has a fee service that may be able to locate the court records for this case since apparently there was a formal indictment. (Even if full trial notes are not available, at least the outcome of the trial should be recorded.)

First, though, it would be helpful to their search for you find out what Court Division handled murder cases for Marion County. I'll paste below a link that gives a phone contact. Ask to speak to the archive librarian who specializes in Court records. You can also ask him/her about availability of such records, current fees, etc. (Last I knew it was $15 for GA residents, $30 for non-residents, per specific search request.)

There's also a link to the "Mail Reference Request Form" to fill out and mail in with the fee for your search. Since there's only a small line to give "other information" I'd attach a letter explaining the details of what you know (dates, names, source of your information)--you could even attach a copy of the newspaper clipping itself. The more specifics you can give them, the more chance of success they'll be able to find what you need. I've found the people at the Georgia Archives to be very knowledgeable and willing to help.

And if you do find out what happened, be sure to post a message here! I'm not related to the people involved, but my McMichael, Huff and Lowe families lived in Marion at the time, and what happened with this murder probably affected everyone in the county.

Here's the link:
http://sos.georgia.gov/archives/how_may_we_help_you/research_help/default.htm

Good luck! -- Joan

Important Note: