GALLAGHER-L Archives

Archiver > GALLAGHER > 2011-07 > 1311679516

From: "" <>
Subject: Re: [GALLAGHER] Gallagher families - NSW Australia
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 11:25:16 -0000

Author: Jim_Kelton
Surnames:
Classification: queries

Message Board URL:

http://boards.rootsweb.com/surnames.gallagher/1254.2.2/mb.ashx

Message Board Post:

Dear Paul

My name is Jim Kelton and I live near Tumbarumba in NSW. I am 60 years of age. My father is Kevin James Finn and his mother, my grandmother, May Finn, was born Gertrude May Gallagher, at Tenterfield, in 1906.

May Gallagher married my grandfather, Charles Michael Finn at Tenterfield in 1921. According to NSW BDM records they had 5 children, Dulcie (b1924), June (b1928), Joan (b1929), Kevin (b1932) and Ronald (b1936).

Whilst the following three children were not listed as their children, William (b1937), Margaret (b1940) and Irene (b1941) are also believed to be May's and Charles Finn's offspring, but born after the divorce of Charles and May (divorced in c1937).

The next bit of info was somewhat confusing when I first found it but would appear to be correct and if so, Charles Finn, my grandfather, committed bigamy by marrying Amy Clara Finn (nee Simms) in 1925. Amy was born in Queensland around 1886.

According to the BDM records Charles and Amy had three children to their marriage, Mary (b1928), Donald (b1931) and Betty (b1932) - note the dates in relation to Charles' marriage to May Finn (nee Gallagher).

You probably know all of the above but might help ?

>From what you say in your Ancestry.com message, your father, John Roy was May Gallagher / Finn's child ?

If so, I wonder if Charles Finn, my grandfather, was your father's father (his biological father) making you my cousin? Or perhaps it was one of Charles' brothers, Martin or John Finn were your grandfather - you would still be my cousin ? The other two brothers of Charles Finn's, Richard and John Finn, were all deceased prior to 1920.

If so then I might have to add another name to my Finn family tree..... Getting more and more complicated.

this probably puts your Finn family connection in perspective, to some degree ?

I dont know what you know of the Gallaghers but in case you dont know, from what I can find, May's mother was Jane Gallagher (nee Morgan) and father was Michael Gallagher, of Tenterfield.

I dont know the Bert surname you mention but given the messed up details above that isnt entirely surprising.

May Finn (nee Gallagher) OUR grandmother divorced Charles Finn around 1937 and married Richard Alexander White. They had one son, Arthur J White born 1942. Sadly, May White / Finn (nee Gallagher) passed away in 1942.

Hope some of this makes sense to you.

Would love to hear back from you re your Finn connection, atleast. Do you know who your grandfather was ? Was it Charles Finn or not ? etc etc.

Regards,
Jim Kelton

Important Note: