GALLAGHER-L Archives

Archiver > GALLAGHER > 2011-04 > 1303893066

From: "" <>
Subject: Re: [GALLAGHER] Wm. Gallagher/Bridget Fyland--Tunstall, UK/ONTARIO
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 08:31:06 -0000

Author: dixymick
Surnames:
Classification: queries

Message Board URL:

http://boards.rootsweb.com/surnames.gallagher/1195.1.1.2.1/mb.ashx

Message Board Post:

Bridget Fyland according to the 1881 England Census ( page ref. 4999-96-2) was born in Pontypool, Wales circa 1856.

According to 1891 Census ( ref 4141-90-21) her parents, John and Margaret Fyland, were born in Ireland, Clare and Meath respectively. Her brother, Thomas, according to 1881 Census, was born in Bolton, Lancashire.

So the Fylands did not come to the Sunderland area, County Durham, the most direct route.

In a similar timeframe, a Gallagher family, headed by Martin and Mary had left County Sligo, Ireland, lived in various places in Northumberland, then moved down to Sunderland area, via Willington, County Durham.

By mid 1870s both families are living in fairly new houses in the Tunstall/New Silksworth close by Lord Londonderry's new coal pit which opened in 1869 ( The Fylands lived in Lord Londonderry's houses built for the miners, their street Tempest Street ( His lordship's wife's maiden name was Vane-Tempest ! )

Nearby had been built a new Roman Catholic Church, dedicated to St Leonard, opened 1873.

Bridget Fyland and William Gallagher were married at St. Leonard's on 16 May 1876. Witnesses were Margaret Fyland and Edward Gallagher, William's Newcastle-born brother.

( A month later, on 10th June, Edward married Jarrow-born Margaret Murphy, whose parents Thomas and Catherine were living in nearby Ryhope)

In July 1877, Bridget and William were godparents for new-born Mary Ann McPaden, the child of Leitrim-born John McPaden and Sligo-born Ellen, nee Gallagher, William's sister. The McPadens, after spending time working in mills in Lowell, Massachusetts, had moved up into Ontario, Canada, where they married in Barrie, Cimcoe County.

Bridget and William had a child, Mary Ellen, on 19 July 1878, baptised at St Leonard's, but she died 18 dec 1879.

By the 1881 census ( taken 3rd April) the three McPadens had returned to Canada. William and Bridget living in with her parents.

William and Bridget emigrated to Canada in 1882. William died in Barrie, simcoe County, Ontario on 24th March 1893.

>From the Canadian sons of William and Bridget, later Gallagher children were given the first name of Fyland.

Michael Dixon ( great great nephew of William- I think ! )
Newcastle

Important Note: