GALLAGHER-L Archives

Archiver > GALLAGHER > 2002-10 > 1035926342

From: "Ken Wood" <>
Subject: Re: [GALLAGHER] Re: Gallaghers of Tipperary
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 16:19:02 -0500

Your posted message is interesting to me as well.

My wife's grandfather was Jeremiah Gallagher, born in Macroom, Cork about
1837. His father was John Gallagher, married to Mary Meany. Other children
were Francis, James, Ellen and Honoria. Francis and Jeremiah emigrated to
Canada in 1859, where he became known as a teacher, engineer, surveyor and
as the mayor of St Foy, Quebec. Do you think there might be a connection
with the two families you mention?

> Very interesting. The Gallaghers in the Glanworth and Kildorrery, Cork,
area are supposed to have settled there after having come down to Kinsale to
help at the Battle of Kinsale in 1601. Most likely both families in those
areas trace back to the same ancestor or to two brothers. In the Glanworth
family, the names Martin, Laurence, Edmond, and Denis stand out as being a
bit different. In the Kildorrery parish family the names Maurice, Thomas,
Michael, William, and Bartholomew appear over and over. I can't help but
wonder if your Tipperary family was somehow connected to this latter branch
way back. Because of the lack of Irish records, we will probably never be
able to make that connection. The Maurice Gallagher who fathered five boys
in Ballynoulty, Kildorrery, Cork, was born about 1720. His son, my
gggrandfather, Thomas, fathered three sons at least: my ggrandfather John,
born late 1820's or early 1830's; Michael; and Bartholomew who took over the
family farm that Thomas h!
> ad owned the lease on - just across the Cork border in Houndscourt,
Limerick.

This thread: