GACOBB-L Archives

Archiver > GACOBB > 2004-04 > 1080992015

From: "Linda Murray" <>
Subject: Re: [GACOBB] Mechanics
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2004 06:33:43 -0500

Excellent question, Mary. I have a partial answer, only because I recall
reading in the superior court minutes about a gentleman who was named as a
mechanic filing suit against a man for whom he had built a mill and not been
paid.

Mechanics built and repaired sawmills and grist mills in the country, and I
would imagine wagon axels as well. Probably lots of mechanical things for
the businesses in town that I can't think of offhand. Were manual water
pumps and railroad handcarts around by that time? Locomotives?

Others on this list will probably have some really good answers for you, and
some that will enlighten me as well.

Linda in Marietta