GACOBB-L Archives

Archiver > GACOBB > 2002-02 > 1014863001

From: "Brenda Pierce" <>
Subject: [GACOBB] Birth/Marriage/Death Records
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 10:13:52 -0500

I answered a couple of emails about this previously, but I did find the
dates for the particular counties. So this gives a little better idea than
what I had posted -
Tx. Brenda

In general, there are no official birth or death certificates before 1919 in
Georgia. However, there are some exceptions to this rule. An 1875 Act of the
Georgia General Assembly mandated statewide registration of births, deaths,
and marriages. Few counties complied with this law and even fewer citizens
within those counties reported the required information. By 1876, this
effort on statewide registration of vital records was abandoned. The few
extant 1875 and 1876 vital records are available on microfilm at GDAH. The
counties that participated in the 1874-1876 vital statistics collection
were:
County Birth Marriage Death
Carroll 1875 1875 1875
Chattooga 1875-76 1874-76 1874-76