GA-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > GA-ROOTS > 2010-06 > 1277247028

From: freedbyluvv <>
Subject: Re: [GA-ROOTS] [GANEWTON] Covington Town Marshall Joseph Barber
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 15:50:28 -0700 (PDT)

  Greetings, I do not have what you are asking for,however,I am passing on a
website that ha a phenomenal historical photograph collection. It is a must
for any and all Georgia researchers. I have found portraits of judges, photos
of long gone general stores, shoe shops, churches ,saw mills and photos of
original courthouses dating back to the 1880's.
And its all free. I have browsed pictures of specific towns, specific surnames
and specific counties by their easy search tools.

****A picture the police dept. might be interested in seeing is one of the mayor,
city council, police and fire department gathered with Engine No. 1 on Clarke
Street, Covington, 1925. It is photo # 30 of 101, searching by "Covington" as city.

 I did not find a specific photo of John Barber, but, I only searched in "Covington"
as a city.  Trying "Newton" as a search in the county category could yield better
results maybe?

 This link below is to a small portion of this sites' offerings called "Vanishing
Georgia".
Just type in a business name, a surname, a city, a county, an object (like "cotton", "sawmill", "police" or "fire" station), and dozens of choices pop up. You can also
customize your search to limit the photos to just baptist churches in Fulton Co.
for example. Or you can leave it more open to general terms, such as courthouses
all over Georgia.  The photos are not in order of year, so don't stop searching
through the pictures just because you see the dates of them going from 1880,
1890, 1930. There could be one dated from 1870 right after that.

 They have many other collections, as well. Excellent resource!
 ~April.

 http://content.sos.state.ga.us/cdm4/vanishing.php