GA-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > GA-ROOTS > 2009-03 > 1237238559

From: JRA <>
Subject: [GA-ROOTS] Dr. Nathaniel Newton Smith & Family
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 14:22:39 -0700 (PDT)

I am looking for information in regard to my fourth great-uncle Nathaniel Newton Smith & his family.

Uncle Nathaniel Newton was born 08 April 1799 Rutherford County, North Carolina to Robert & Elizabeth ROBERSON Smith of Rutherford County, North Carolina to DeKalb County, Georgia, & died 20 December 1868 La Grange, Troup County, Georgia.

Uncle Nathaniel Newton married first Alelujah 'Aley' B. WOMACK, born 1817 died 07 November 1842, in 1835. His second wife was Eliza S. McBRIDE, born 08 August 1807 died 02 January 1885.

Uncle Nathaniel Newton & Aunt Aley had the following children:
Robert S. Smith born about 1836 Georgia
Wiley W. Smith born about 1838 Georgia
Ann E. Smith born about 1840

According to the Troup County website Uncle Nathaniel & Aunt Aley moved to Troup County in 1838, I believe from another Georgia county (I just do not know which one).

They are recorded in the 1840 Troup County census, 1850 Troup County census with a Jane McColly(sp?) age fifteen & a Sarah J. Stembridge age 13 living with them (I do not know their relation, if any), 1860 Troup County census, 1870 Eliza is living in Troup County still & for 1880 I have been unable to find her.

There is a Wiley W. Smith & wife C R Smith living with J C & M E Cutright(sp?), I am unsure if this is Cousin Wiley or another Wiley Smith.

Any help on this family would be greatly appreciated!

Thank You,
Lena

This thread: