GA-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > GA-ROOTS > 2004-05 > 1083675838

Subject: Re: [GA-Roots] Re: Is Ancestry.com owned by the Mormon church?
Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 09:03:58 EDT

In a message dated 5/3/04 11:24:37 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

> "I do believe Ancestry.com owns Rootsweb.com and Genealogy.com."

Ancestry.com owns Rootsweb. Genealogy.com/My Family.com is owned by the
software company that produces Family Tree Maker.

Family Tree Maker has been selling submitted family data for many years.
They bundle these trees and sell them with the software, at a premium.
Ancestry.com is simply jumping on the same bandwagon.

Anyone who submits information to these companies will (eventually) find
their information being sold to others. I suggest you read the disclaimers before
submitting your information to them. I also believe genealogy begins with
your grandparents, so your parents name and those of your children should never
be included.

These companies are no worse than the individuals submitting the information,
just richer.

Gale

This thread: