GA-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > GA-ROOTS > 2004-05 > 1083603520

Subject: Re: [GA-Roots] [Fwd: Ancestry.com to sell Family Tree data]
Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 12:58:40 EDT

writes:

> Thanks to Jeanette for alerting us to the changes in Ancestry.Com. The
> commercialization of personal history records is a two edged sword. Does
> this mean any personal information we may have sent them will now be under
> the copyright and sole ownership of One World Preview? What about research
> I did and my cousin sent to Ancestry.Com? How does this affect GA-ROOTS-L
> and rootsweb.com? Yes, I know someone has to pay. That is not the most
> basic concern. The sale and control of personal information which was never
> intended to be commercialized leaves a bad taste in my mouth. It would be
> more acceptable if they charge for their site but do not think they can
> copyright and restrict usage of one's personal family tree data. Thanks
> again. Margie

Margie,
I share your serious concerns, and I submitted nothing to Ancestry. It
infuriates me to know that personal interviews and my personal thoughts and
writing, have been plagarized, and will be exploited and sold, without permission,
and I can do nothing. Maybe we have the same "cousin".
Sherry

This thread: