GA-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > GA-ROOTS > 2004-05 > 1083587932

From: "M.H. Barden" <>
Subject: Re: [GA-Roots] [Fwd: Ancestry.com to sell Family Tree data]
Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 08:40:51 -0500

Thanks to Jeanette for alerting us to the changes in Ancestry.Com. The
commercialization of personal history records is a two edged sword. Does
this mean any personal information we may have sent them will now be under
the copyright and sole ownership of One World Preview? What about research
I did and my cousin sent to Ancestry.Com? How does this affect GA-ROOTS-L
and rootsweb.com? Yes, I know someone has to pay. That is not the most
basic concern. The sale and control of personal information which was never
intended to be commercialized leaves a bad taste in my mouth. It would be
more acceptable if they charge for their site but do not think they can
copyright and restrict usage of one's personal family tree data. Thanks
again. Margie