GA-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > GA-ROOTS > 2004-03 > 1080225136

Subject: Re: [GA-Roots] Oath of Allegiance
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 08:35:06 -0600

This doesn't help you directly, but it might give you some ideas.

The Alachua County (North Florida) County Clerk of the Court just this week put
on line a "Book of Register, 1868 - 1870" listing names of those who had taken
the Loyalty Oath.  Once you took the Loyalty Oath (written in the front of the
book) your name was added to the list. It's about 100 pages.

See: http://www.clerk-alachua-fl.org/Archive/AncientJ/FrontPage.cfm?BID=898

It did include my great-great-grandfather who lived in North Florida - or
extreme south Georgia - over the years in that "odd section" of land that was
claimed at various sides by the two states until the state line was finally
settled.

Perhaps the Clerk of the Court in the county you are looking for also has a
"Book of Register."

Libby