GA-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > GA-ROOTS > 2002-06 > 1023765363

From: "Karen T. Ledford" <>
Subject: Re: [GA-Roots] Salt List
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 23:16:03 -0400

The Salt Lists are broken down into years, from 1862 in some counties till
1864. These lists provide the names of the wives, widows, heads of
household, orphans of soldiers, disabled soldiers and families dependent on
the labor of a soldier at war who were receiving salt rations.
These lists are invaluable in determining service for some men in some cases
where records cannot be located. You can also determine for example that a
woman was a WIFE in 1863 and a widow in 1864.

If you are doing research in the following Counties: FRANKLIN, HABERSHAM,
STEPHENS, RABUN, WHITE, BANKS OR JACKSON COUNTIES, my books entitled THESE
MEN WORE GREY has these lists for you broken down into years, and categories
of wives, widows, etc. They are also alphabetized. I have seen no other
publication that breaks these down for you as I have done in my books. I
give you the complete lists.

For more information on my books and their contents of burials, muster
rolls, militia enrollments, Salt lists, pensions, letters home, go to:

http://www.hartcom.net/~scv935/grey

If you have questions e-mail me directly at

Thank you for your attention and I hope this is helpful.

Karen T. Ledford/Toccoa, Ga.
Author of THESE MEN WORE GREY
Franklin Co. Volume I
HAbersham Co. Volume II