GA-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > GA-ROOTS > 2001-07 > 0996543587

From: "Gerald Gieger" <>
Subject: Re: [GA-Roots] cemetery vandalism
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 19:39:47

Hunters in remote areas steal them for the doorstoop of their Hunting
shacks...several years ago it was a custom to replace the old marble ones
with Granite...the marker companies had no place to dispose of them so they
ground them up. Someone got an idea and started selling them for steps and
the supply soon diminished, so they then resorted to getting them from the
cemetery...

My grandfather's 1923 marker was "renewed" with a double granite one before
my grandmother died...and I wish I had the old one back, now...