GA-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > GA-ROOTS > 2001-07 > 0996288518

From: Janice & Marle <>
Subject: Re: [GA-Roots] cemetery vandalism--forever ongoing
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 22:48:38 -0400

--------------7E0BDB034DC375260971CC06

=A0=A0=A0 The vandalism of cemeteries---in this country and other countri=
es
around the world is not new.=A0 In almost any cemetery in any country,
anywhere---you can see some evidence of vandalism, theft of objects,
neglected gravesites that can be sickening.
=A0=A0=A0 It is a horrible way to treat our ancestors.
=A0=A0=A0 A billion words could be written about this despicable subject,=
and
yet not enough words could describe how some visitors react upon
seeing for the first time, firsthand, these acts of insanity. I have seen=

people cry and they did not have any ancestors in that cemetery.
=A0=A0=A0 I could write at least a half billion words about my personal e=
xperiences
after having encountered vandals in the act---during their criminal acts,=

and those times when I have found fresh evidence of those despicable acts=
,
afterwards.=A0 The most disheartening, was when I discovered a 'lost'
cemetery that had gone for years without any 'attentive TLC' and only
vandals had made regular 'visits' and did their usual destructive, dirty =
acts.
It was that particular cemetery that the town's founder was buried there,=

near my G-Grandparents---and the town did not even know it.
=A0=A0=A0 I don't think we will solve these nasty happenings of cemetery =
vandalism
by writing about it on this site---I wish we could---but it will not stop=
by
writing about it here.
=A0=A0=A0 We could expound forever on the nastiness of cemetery vandalism=
---but
we are missing something here---and that is the use of this site.
=A0=A0=A0 This has been a tremendously great site for exchanging good inf=
orma-
tion about ancestors in the family Tree.=A0 It has helped me tremendously=
=2E
I like to read every single message that is posted to GA-ROOTS-L and I
always feel a great excitement when someone has some information that
helps someone else piece together a limb or two on that great Tree.
=A0=A0=A0 Please, I do not get the same feeling some people do when they
desire to read and write about cemetery vandalism, and I would like to
see us get back on the right track and use this site for what it original=
ly
was created.
=A0=A0=A0 Let's concentrate on construction---not destruction.
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 ----Prof. M.C.Stevens=A0=
=A0=A0
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
=A0
=A0
=A0
=A0