GA-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > GA-ROOTS > 2000-08 > 0966558927

From: "Angus P. Robinson Jr" <>
Subject: [GA-Roots] Re: Marrying ages
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 19:35:27 -0500

Good Evening,
All our family verbal stories tell us GrGrandpa John was a caring
soul.
He donated land for schools and burial gounds not only for his own family
but for the use of his neighbors. Not one of his children, regardless of
which
mother they had, went hungry or lacked clothes on their backs. He and his
parents lived among the Cherokee Indian nation without rancor. In fact, he
was a close friend of several of the noted Indian chiefs of the early 1800's
in
Northwest Georgia. His Indian name was Yonah. The character and self respect
he instilled in his children were passed on to each generation and today we
have proudly and reverently passed those same traits on to our own families.
I am
the father of six children and, as of this date, 13 grandkids and 3
gr-gr-grand
children. Again, I repeat, he must have been one hell of man to raise 15
children (five died in infancy) who never suffered from need.
Contrary to the way kids are raised today, we were taught to say
"Yes
Sir or Yes Mam," or say "pardon me" if we wanted to ask a question while
grownups were in the midst of a conversation. Expletives were totally
unacceptable contrary to the terrible language many children hear in their
homes today.
Not one of us dared go home and tell our parents that some policeman
hit us across the buttocks with a club. If we had, our father would have
asked what we did to warrant the club and we would have gotten it twice as
bad from our father. There wouldn't be any of that, "How dare he hit my
kid."
Yes, it takes decent and God fearing parents to raise kids today!
Angus "Scotty" Robinson

Researching: FAIN, JONES, ROBINSON, ROBERTSON, KIRKSEY, TAYLOR,
FRICK, ADAIR, HAMMOND, POWELL, KULBETH (CULBRETH), PENDLETON,
and LAVENDER (LAUBINGER).

This thread: