GA-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > GA-ROOTS > 2000-08 > 0966531776

From: mary <>
Subject: Re: [GA-Roots] Marrying Ages
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 13:02:56 -0400

My grandfather married his children's "nanny" when my grandmother died. I
don't know if anything was "going on" before her death... or if they
married because she was living there and it would "look" better. There were
4 young children in the family. They grew to love her as their mother!
This 2nd "mother" was very young...but 11?...I've not run into that in my
family...
Mary in SC
That's strange, half my ancestors are WOMEN!!

At 11:42 AM 08/17/2000 -0400, lynda wilson wrote:
>For some reason a lot of southern women married young. I
>think it was to get away from a big family with too many
>mouths to feed or since women were considered property
>of the father, maybe to avoid sexual abuse. Or the sons
>moved out and needed a wife to take care of them and
>maybe children from a first wife.
>I have several lines where the women married very young.
>Unfortunately, marrying at 11 is not that uncommon.
>Lynda

This thread: