Freepages-Help-L Archives

Archiver > Freepages-Help > 2010-10 > 1286596516

From: "J.A. Florian" <>
Subject: Re: [FreeHelp] How do I keep source info on my webpage when someonecopies it?
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2010 23:55:16 -0400

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 5:49 PM, jwhipple <> wrote:

> Rebecca at Ancestry Head Office wrote me that Ancestry condones this
> practice and that I signed away any right to my story when I put up the
> Rootsweb page.

That person is wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong. You need to call Ancestry and
speak to a supervisor so this "representative" stops mis-stating copyright
law.

Even "fair use" means limited copying AND means "with attribution stated."
Meaning, someone can quote a few sentences AND must state where the info
comes from.

If you filed a copyright notice, you have protection. If not, there's not
much you can do.

This kind of issue is why I only put up the index of my book.

Judy

This thread: