FREED-L Archives

Archiver > FREED > 2003-08 > 1060136416

From: "J. M. Freed" <>
Subject: [FREED] Any participants on the Freed List?
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 22:20:21 -0400

I've worked on my own Freed line (and the Freed/Fried lines of many
others) for many years including publishing the Freed Family Facts
(two issues in 1984). However, I placed my surname line research
aside for other families for about 15 years. Now I'm ready to return
to the Freed studies.

In the mid 1980's (when I published the Freed Family Facts) there were
over 40 serious genealogists in the USA and Canada interested in the
Freeds of all spellings. Where are they now? I notice that this
Freed Mailing List as well as the Fried mailing list, both on
RootsWeb, has not had any significant activity in several months. Is
there anybody remaining as list administrator? Are there any readers
of this Freed list?

My ancestry goes back to Philip and Regina (Bener) Fried/Freed who
were married April 13, 1749 in Montgomery County, PA, Augustus
Evangelical Lutheran Church, Trappe, PA. (PA German Society
Proceedings, VOL. 7, 1896).

The had at least the following children as recorded in the records of
the New Hanover Lutheran Church of Montgomery County, PA (published by
the Pennsylvania-German Society, "The Lutheran Church in New Hanover
(Falckner Swamp), Montgomery County, Pa." by Rev. J. J. Kline,
Lancaster, PA 1911.:

Johannes Fried, b. Oct. 16, 1750
married Margaretha Graf, Feb. 18, 1772
Henrich Friderich Freed, b. ca 1753
Samuel Freed, b. ca 1754,
married Maria Mey, March 5, 1775
Adam Freed, b. June 14, 1756
Joh. Christophel Freed, b. Dec. 12, 1758
died Aug. 31, 1773
Joh. Philip Freed, b. Sept. 28, 1760.

I descend, according to indirect evidence, from the John Fried who
married Margaretha Graf, through their son, John Freed, who married
Regina Rife, in Shenandoah County, VA in 1794. John and Regina Freed
later (ca 1803) moved to Greene County, Tennessee, and by 1820 were in
southern Indiana.

I would be interested in contacting any descendants of any of the four
other sons of Philip and Regina Bener Fried/Freed who apparently lived
to maturity.

Jim Freed, Delaware, OH

This thread: