FRA-LORRAINE-L Archives

Archiver > FRA-LORRAINE > 2004-04 > 1082128783

From: "Laurie Jones Williams" <>
Subject: RE: [LORRAINE] Denis FRA>US Was Various surnames of Lorraine and the Saar
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 11:19:43 -0400

On April 16, 2004 3:20 AM, Nadine wrote:

I live in France and I seek my ancestors left to the United States. My
ancestors
were all of Lorraine and the Saar. Here the list of the patronyms of my
tree on
the side of my grandfather MAYER and my grandmother KOENIG :

. . . DEMANGE, DENIS, DEPOUTOT, DONATE/DONNATE, . . .

Nadine,

My great-great-great grandmother, Barbara Denis, was born in France
(probably Lorraine) in January 1820 (calculated from her cemetery marker).
I say probably Lorraine because family history was that this branch of the
family was from Alsace-Lorraine and one census lists Alsace-Lorraine as
place of birth for her son's mother. I have no other information on her
prior to her emigration to the U.S.

Barbara and her husband, Peter Peters, came to the U.S. and settled in Lewis
County, New York in the mid 1850s. I have conflicting evidence whether her
fisrt child, Peter (Jr), was born in France or the U.S. in 1855.

If Barbara fits in with your family, I would love to hear from you. I'm
afraid I have neglected Barbara and concentrated on the "easier" research
here in the U.S.

Thanks for any information you can share.

Laurie

This thread: