FERMANAGH-GOLD-L Archives

Archiver > FERMANAGH-GOLD > 2009-07 > 1246592267

From: loddydawe <>
Subject: Re: FER-GOLD Protestant reaction to 1829 Emanicpation
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2009 20:37:47 -0700

I have also been interested into why my wife's ancestors left the
beautiful country of Ireland circa 1830. I am not altogether convinced
that the reason was because of the Emancipation Act or solely because of
it. Having read the 1781 lease between Walter Stinson and Hugh
Montgomery (see Vynette's records) you will see that the landlord had
essentially feudal type control over the leaseholder.

The maintenance of buildings and outbuildings on the property,
maintenance of thoroughfares, ditches, hedges, etc., etc. were the
responsibility of the lessee; the grains that he grew on the property
could only be milled at the landlord's mill and for a fee of course - oh
yes, even had to pay for the maintenance of the mill itself. On top of
that the mining of the peat used for heating their homes was also
controlled. Mineral rights and mining for same was allowed but my
suspicious mind tells me that the landlord was encouraging such
exploration but betcha as soon as any lucrative mine was discovered, the
right to mine would expire with the next lease. The types of crops and
orchards were prescribed down to the type of thorn to be used for the
perimeters of the land and fines could be levied if the work or crops
was not produced.

The rent as follows: /"shall and will yield and pay for and out of said
demised premisses[sic] unto the said Hugh Montgomery his heirs executors
and administrators Yearly and every year during the said term the clear
yearly rent or sum of nine pounds [illegible] with six pence in the
pound receivers [illegible] good and lawful money of Great Britain the
same to be paid half yearly by two even and equal portions (that is to
say) on every twenty ninth day of September and Twenty[cut off] Day of
March in every year during said term together with five men horses and
cars and for each man horse and car not [illegible] demand, one shill’g
in lieu thereof at the election of Hugh Montgomery his heirs or assigns
to be paid as duties to the said Hugh Montgomery his heirs executors and
assigns clear rent over and above, all and all manner of taxes
assessments country-charges, and all other imposition whatsoever, known
or unknown, ordinary or extraordinary, charged or to be charged on the
said premises or any part thereof or on the rent thereout or hereby
reserved by Act of Parliament or otherwise howsoever, (quit rent and
Crown Rent only excepted) and that if it shall happen the said yearly
rent and duties or any part thereof shall be in arrear or unpaid by the
space of twenty-one days next after any or either of the said days or
times whereon the same ought to be paid as aforesaid." /Nine pounds
including all the extras on top does not sound like a lot of money but
it certainly was in those days. I would hazard that after the tenant had
paid the milling charges, maintenance responsibilities, fines etc., the
tenant would net very little out of the arrangement. The lure of free or
almost free land in the Americas would have been immensely tempting. The
political situation would have been a factor but I think it was more of
a culmative effect. Those were very tough times and it got tougher after
they left Ireland. The conditions they faced in Canada was no bed of
roses either.

Jim

This thread: