FERGUSON-DNA-L Archives

Archiver > FERGUSON-DNA > 2010-08 > 1280871173

From: "Sharon Clark" <>
Subject: Re: [FERGUSON-DNA] Martha Hammett and John Ferguson of Fauquier andCulpeper Co., VA - Married 1756 in Culpeper Co.
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2010 16:32:53 -0500

Hi Richard,

Thank you for responding to my message. I have been corresponding with Miki
Woodard []. She responded to a query I placed asking
about early Warren Co., KY Fergusons. Hopefully she won't mind if I send
you the message she sent me; here it is:

"My maiden name is Ferguson and I descend from the Ferguson family who
settled in Metcalfe. I even have a cousin James Finley Ferguson "Jimbo" who
is no longer living. I always wondered where the Finley came from. I have
lots of info if you are interested. My great grandfather was Rev John
Sherman Ferguson who married Maude Lee Piper. We called him papa Ferguson &
he lived to be 96 years old. I remember visiting him when I must have been
4-5 years old and climbing up in the hospital bed to comb his hair. I have
no other memory him. Papa Ferguson was the son of William Ferdinand Ferguson
& Almeda Mary Ellen Slinker. William Ferdinand Ferguson is the son of James
H Ferguson & Arminta Edwards (they were cousins). James H Ferguson is the
son of John Thomas Ferguson & Sarah Edwards. John Thomas was son of John
Hammett Ferguson & Ann Greene.

"The sons of John Thomas Ferguson & Sarah Edwards are Malinda Ferguson
Slinker (hubby Henry Clay Slinker), David E Ferguson (wife Martha Minor),
James H Ferguson as mentioned above (wife Sarah Edwards), Jane E Ferguson
Piper (hubby Thomas Marshall Piper), Alexander Albert Ferguson (wife Rebecca
Edwards), Henry Calvin Ferguson (wife Prudence "sis" Janes), and Thomas
Millard Ferguson (wife Rutha Montgomery).

"The sons of John Thomas Ferguson came from VA looking for homestead through
Metcalfe KY. All of them hung around Metcalfe with the exception of Thomas
Millard Ferguson. Thomas Millard took off to MO and was never heard from
again but I've since tracked Jim down through records finding out more
information on him and his descendants. If you are interested in knowing
more email me because this doesn't scratch much of the surface."

In the information Shirley Doran gave me several years ago, John Hammett
Ferguson married Ann Greene and he was the son of Martha Hammett and John
Ferguson.

She is trying to get her dad to participate, and hopefully he will. It
appears that he is a descendant of Martha and John Ferguson. I'll keep my
fingers crossed that he will join us.

Best wishes,
Sharon