EVERHART-L ArchivesArchiver > EVERHART > 2006-06 > 1150675795
Subject: Oliver T. Everhart of Penn.
Date: 18 Jun 2006 18:09:55 -0600
This is a Message Board Post that is gatewayed to this mailing list.
Message Board URL:
Message Board Post:
Oliver T. Everhart
Oliver T. Everhart, second son of George and Catherine Everhart, was born May 18, 1832. He received his preliminary education at the Manchester (Md.) Academy, and thus prepared himself for the Sophomore class of 1851 at Marshall College. At Mercersburgh, Penn. This college was afterward removed to Lancaster, Penn., and being united to Franklin College, the name was changed to Franklin & Marshall College, and from this institution our subject was graduated in 1854. He red medicine under Dr. Henry E. Beltz, of Manchester, Md., and attended medical lectures at the University of Maryland, from which he graduated in 1856. The same year he located in Goldsboro, York County, and began the practice of his profession. During the late war Dr. Everhart was assistant surgeon at the Chambersburgh and Camp Curtin Hospitals. In 1867 he removed to Shrewsbury, Penn., and thence in 1869 to Marysville, Penn., where he remained nine years, and then came to Hanover, and here has since continued!
to reside. He was united in marriage in 1859 to Miss. Sarah, daughter of Rev. Jacob G. Kister. Mrs. Everhart died in 1860; and Dr. Everhart, in 1864, married Miss. Anna C. Shelly, daughter of Michael Shelly. To this marriage have been born four children. Dr. Everhart is a successful physician and enjoys a lucrative practice. He is a Democrat. Dr. and Mrs. Everhart are members of the Trinity Reformed Church.
Taken from the book, “History of York County, Illustrated 1886” by John Gibson, Historical Editor