ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2012-02 > 1328971914

From: Ruth Aylett <>
Subject: Re: [Ess] A Strange Marriage
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2012 14:51:54 +0000

Primitive Methodists were a split from the Methodists with more radical views about equality here on earth that appealed strongly in working class circles. I think many of their members played a role in the Chartist movement and seem to remember George Elliot's Daniel Deronda having Primitive Methodists in it.

Adult conversion to non-conformism was frequent in this period - a whole bunch of my Tillingham Ayletts went Baptist in the 1840s in repines to an inspiring local preacher; all of them had been baptised CofE as infants and a large subset had also married CofE earlier on.

Ruth
--
Ruth Aylett Professor of Computer Science
Mathematics and Computer Science, Heriot-Watt University